What About Thad?

Thad Komorowski's blog

Bowery Daze

without comments

Thought I’d break the silence (which will continue) with a Krazy Kat I forgot I uploaded. One of the last great pre-code cartoons, with shitting horses, crooked Jew tailors, gay thugs, and BBWs. This is a bootleg copy recorded from an ASIFA screening.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pES7v6VCjtc&hl=en&fs=1]

Written by Thad

January 11th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Posted in classic animation

No Responses to 'Bowery Daze'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Bowery Daze'.

1. Great cartoon. Love the BBWs. That and the seedy atmosphere. It’s alwys so much fun to see a seedy place like that done with so much rhythm and lightness to it.

Eric Noble

11 Jan 09 at 7:07 pm

2. That cartoon sure has a lot of sweaty, beer-drenched atmosphere! It’s fun to hear the crowd reactions, too. Thanks!

Sherm Cohen

11 Jan 09 at 7:21 pm

3. Those Pre-Code cartoons are awlays a joy to watch. It’s very hard to do things like this today. :P

Martin Juneau

11 Jan 09 at 9:17 pm

4. Who’s a schlemiel?

BBWs? I’d leave out that second B—those poor girls look sort of like frogs (and I’m not sure what kind of animal they’re supposed to actually be; they’re not human, are they?).

A wild sort of devil, but dead on the level was my gal Sal…

D[h]ave Gerstein

12 Jan 09 at 11:52 am

5. Thanks for posting that. I love Pre-Code cartoons – and would bet that the gags for that one were brainstormed over beer and pretzels at Manny Gould’s house. The Fleischer Screen Song BOILESK also has a chorus line of hippo burlesque dancers.

It’s just as well I didn’t attend that screening. I would have laughed so loudly as to ruin the recording.

Paul Etcheverry

12 Jan 09 at 6:56 pm

6. Was this the ASIFA screening in Los Angeles? I think I was in that audience.

J. J. Hunsecker

13 Jan 09 at 4:10 am

7. What a great cartoon!! Thanks for posting that Thad- I’ve never seen an early mainstream cartoon with such fast pacing and outright rude gags in it like that one before. Some of those gags go by so fast there’s barely time to read them at all.

Larry_T

18 Jan 09 at 6:27 pm

8. Where’s the shitting horses? 6 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

Brandon