What About Thad?

Thad Komorowski's blog

Die, Die, Die

with 18 comments

A brilliant comic by Wilfred Haughton from the UK’s Mickey Mouse Annual 6, 1935 (for 1936).

Written by Thad

February 13th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Posted in comics

18 Responses to 'Die, Die, Die'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Die, Die, Die'.

1. Wow.

Not sure how else to describe that one.

Mike Russo

13 Feb 09 at 4:20 pm

2. execpt for the punchline, it says something that you really want to post that 1945 farm cartoon with the correct paramount logo

A. Retard

13 Feb 09 at 7:36 pm

3. Mr. Retard, the subject line was “Die, Die, Die,” not “Dee, Deh, Dee.”

D[h]ave Gerstein

13 Feb 09 at 8:24 pm

4. Wow-XD!that was morbidly funny reminds me of Sesame Street’s five purple conkers which was somewhat like this.

Glowworm

13 Feb 09 at 9:18 pm

5. I hate those little fuckers.

mike matei

13 Feb 09 at 9:33 pm

6. Haughton must have been subjected to Disney’s “Orphans” cartoons once too many times before he penned this (which, given the tenor of the times is rather tame compared to what some artists nowadays would do — or even what cartoonists by the early 40s would have done — after being subjected to those annoying little bastards one too many times)

J Lee

14 Feb 09 at 12:49 am

7. Jesus,
    thanks for this, Thad! I have some outrageous stuff too, which I promised not to post and I’m Horton-like. but if you have more gems like this keep them coming, kiddo!

Andrea Ippoliti

14 Feb 09 at 5:04 am

8. A kid getting killed by a propeller is pretty freaky, but the really morbid part comes where the last two are cheerfully trying to kill themselves. :-O

the spectre

14 Feb 09 at 9:38 am

9. …And so we have “The Secret Origin of Morty and Ferdie”!

Amazing!

Joe Torcivia

14 Feb 09 at 5:06 pm

10. I actually got that Mickey Mouse annual (I got a few other 1930s MM annuals, but sadly not the first few as yet). That strip does shows how we Brits like our classic cartoon strips – as fuckin’ violent as we can possibly get away with!

Lee Glover

14 Feb 09 at 6:45 pm

11. Uhh…wow, this was official?

#7 in particular was morbid. You can actually see him getting dismembered!

Charles Brubaker

14 Feb 09 at 10:50 pm

12. I stare in dull amaze.

Daniel

15 Feb 09 at 12:42 am

13. Wow —– that’s the first time I’ve ever heard you curse, Lee!

It’s a shame very little at all is known about Mr. Haughton – someone with a mind enough to create a story like this deserves some sort of thorough biographic.

Matt Yorston

15 Feb 09 at 1:29 am

14. Matt, I’ve got a multi-part piece about Haughton and the Annual starting in the most recent issue of Tomart’s Disneyana Update (#72). I’ve been in touch with some of Haughton’s descendants, and so there’s a lot of biographical material included. Major props to Didier Ghez for setting me up with the writing opportunity.
    Interestingly, Haughton’s first Disney art was done for 1930 German tin toys, including the famous hurdy gurdy. It’s from there—working with a British partner of the German firm—that he landed the Annual job.

D[h]ave Gerstein

15 Feb 09 at 1:57 am

15. I wonder if someone did something like this to Chip n’ Dale…

Mr. Semaj

15 Feb 09 at 10:50 pm

16. Yeep. I don’t know what to think- this is pretty morbid, but strangely satisfying at the same time :)

Never thought I’d read an official Disney comic strip showing the Mickey Kids’ limbs flying off by being blown up by a firecracker or hacked to death by a propeller…. I guess my life is complete now :)

Larry_T

18 Feb 09 at 11:42 pm

17. Larry, that last comment is exactly what Donald Duck said when he read it, too.

D[h]ave Gerstein

19 Feb 09 at 10:58 am

18. It’s not really that morbid by today’s standards, especially when you consider what’s on TV and Video games. But, the fact that it’s our beloved Mickey Mouse, makes it kind of shocking. I mean, who knew there was more than one Mickey?
    Seriously though, if you look back at the original fables of Grimm and Anderson, upon which Disney made many a movie, several of those were pretty morbid, and they didn’t always end “happily ever-after”. Many were done this way in an effort to teach an important (safety) lesson. Perhaps Walt or whoever drew this was thinking the same thing.

GrumpyFan