What About Thad?

Thad Komorowski's blog

Reward: $5000 or One Pound of Coffee

with 20 comments

Just got in a copyright synopsis of the Tex Avery short Dumb-Hounded from David Gerstein. Fortunately the MGM copyright synopses are the most detailed of all the studios. No other’s synopses have scene by scene descriptions like this, so it’s easy to notice changes made in the reissues, like the wartime references that were originally in the newspaper headline, or how “Runnin’ Wild” played over the credits.

Written by Thad

March 21st, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Posted in classic animation

20 Responses to 'Reward: $5000 or One Pound of Coffee'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Reward: $5000 or One Pound of Coffee'.

1. How about scans of receipts for the coffee animators bought during production

Mike Matei

21 Mar 09 at 8:41 pm

2. Silly boy, animators in the Golden Age drank booze on the job, not coffee.

Thad

21 Mar 09 at 8:43 pm

3. Thad, do you have any more of these?

Mike Russo

21 Mar 09 at 9:38 pm

4. At the moment, no. Maybe more in the future.

Thad

21 Mar 09 at 9:53 pm

5. Great stuff, thanks!
    Now something like this for “Droopy’s Good Deed” will really make everybody QUIET!

Andrea Ippoliti

22 Mar 09 at 6:18 am

6. As for me, I’d like to see it for “Red Hot”.

Andrea Ippoliti

22 Mar 09 at 6:18 am

7. Droopy obviously wasn’t named yet, so he’s constantly reffered to as “Hero” throught that script. I wonder what would have happened if that name had actually stuck.

Brandon

22 Mar 09 at 11:33 am

8. What a fantastic find. You know, something in the back of my mind always made me think that the jump cut to the headline without showing the newspaper title first was a little odd, but not having any reason to doubt it I just assumed it was the way it was made. Obviously not.

David Mackenzie

22 Mar 09 at 12:11 pm

9. Oh, this find is incredible, although unreadable even by my screenreader since it will not read an “image”. Sorry; but it certainly would make a great special feature on a possible COMPLETE TEX AVERY box if a director’s cut of this cartoon could ever be found. I’ve been told that it is a dead-in-the-water (or, in this case, fire) issue, but I never say never, especially with all the good rare material we’ve discovered on Warner Brothers LOONEY TUNES and MERRIE MELODIES cartoons. While we’re at it, how about such a plot outline to “THE EARLY BIRD DOOD IT”? I’ve always been especially irritated by what is the existing 1950’s redo on that one. With Avery’s penchant for screwing around with the opening credits of his cartoons at this time, it is a real shame to lose any of this stuff!

Kevin Wollenweber

22 Mar 09 at 6:28 pm

10. Nice find on the descriptions. My guess is the WWII cartoons would be the ones Metro was most concerned about reworking for re-release, though I suppose like Warners redoing the backgrounds to Tashlin’s books-come-to-life cartoons to update the years on the magazines and other covers to reflect the re-release date, MGM may have gone back in and tweaked some of their backgrounds dialog or even the animation itself on the Avery and/or T&J shorts to eliminate anything relating to the original release year.

John

22 Mar 09 at 10:26 pm

11. I just read what Jerry Beck said about the original negatives of these MGM shorts being lost in a fire. This is really sad.

Ricardo Cantoral

22 Mar 09 at 10:45 pm

12. Sorry, I should have said in the 1970’s.

Ricardo Cantoral

23 Mar 09 at 7:13 am

13. Well crap! This is off topic, but it appears Thad’s youtube account has been taken down, so many of the videos in the previous posts are unavailable now. That sucks, now we may never get to see a Truckload of Trouble again… but I’m glad to have seen it while it was still up.

John M

23 Mar 09 at 3:35 pm

14. This is of great interest!

The Library of Congress did take RED HOT RIDING HOOD into their collection (FAA5702). Perhaps a detailed synopsis exists for that short, as well. I would love to have some of my scoffed-at suspicions about the original version of this cartoon confirmed–or, if nothing else, to have them proved wrong.

It is a pity that all the original versions of these wartime MGM cartoons are so much ashes now. It is an odd experience to watch these, now, knowing that certain scenes were animated for the reissue versions.

DUMB-HOUNDED seems to have only lost a couple of wartime references, going by the clinical scene-by-scene descriptions from the document.

I would assume that the documents for all the MGM Avery shorts accepted by the LoC would be on file there, and available to researchers for the asking. I’m going to look into this…

Thanks again for this fascinating post!

Frank Young

24 Mar 09 at 1:02 pm

15. We already checked RED HOT RIDING HOOD… no changes. My guess is the ending was changed before release. I could see some of the Avery spotgag cartoons missing whole scenes though.

Thad

24 Mar 09 at 3:13 pm

16. I’m curious; have any of you paused ‘Dumb Hounded’ when the newspaper article with Droopy’s photograph was shown on-screen and read the newspaper text surrounding the photo? You’ll be able to read a slightly bizarre article about a joke shop proprietor who laughed himself to death, as well as some poetry about worms.

Jan

24 Mar 09 at 4:33 pm

17. Mark Evanier mentioned on his blog that House of Tomorrow was altered by Hanna-Barbera in the 50’s (a line of dialogue of Frank Graham’s was redubbed by Don Messick). Thad, do you have the draft to that one?

anon

24 Mar 09 at 8:01 pm

18. Thad already said just a few posts up that he doesn’t have any more of these.

Mike Russo

25 Mar 09 at 4:47 pm

19. Well, looks like quite possibly Droopy’s Good Deed was changed as well and that elusive black lady is somewhere out there…So many have seen it years ago…

Lucille Dupheney

3 Feb 10 at 3:41 pm

20. You’re wrong. We found the Droopy’s Good Deed synopsis too. NO BLACK LADY.

Thad