What About Thad?

Thad Komorowski's blog

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

with 14 comments

Seeing the new promo for the next bastardization of Looney Tunes jogged my memory… Didn’t my old friend Jon Cooke (also the co-author of this blog) do a gag drawing back in 2003 ‘predicting’ what a Cartoon Network revival of the characters would look like in the ‘modern’ style (the jagged inbreeding of UPA, Lynne Naylor, and anime)? As in, something sketched and colored in Photoshop in about ten minutes?

So much for seasoned professionalism in TV animation. Here’s to another year of crap.

Written by Thad

December 30th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

14 Responses to 'A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes'

1. The artists sure seem to have a foot fetish.
    Sylvester’s line echoes my thoughts. This is supposed to be funny because…? The designs look like something Butch Hartman would do (that’s NOT a compliment).

Kasey

30 Dec 10 at 5:43 pm

2. This is the venereal disease of TV as we know it.

Devon

30 Dec 10 at 8:52 pm

3. There’s an episode of Coast to Coast named “Fire Ant,” in which Space Ghost gripes about how WB turned down his idea for a show in which he, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck were all pirates who taught good hygiene. Somehow this commercial reminded me of that segment.

John M

30 Dec 10 at 9:16 pm

4. Jon’s drawing actually has some energy and life in it. It looks like it was actually touched by human hands, plus Bugs is the right color and doesn’t look like a lagomorphic version of Sandy from Spongebob.

I know people will bitch and moan about not judging a show before you watch it, but sometimes you can tell something is going to be crap just from the smell.

Kevin

30 Dec 10 at 9:46 pm

5. I find it very disheartening that a Looney Tunes revival is given to Scooby Doo recreationists to make.

Zartok-35

31 Dec 10 at 2:41 am

6. I think it’s still a bit early to tell excactly what we’ve got here. This show might be terrible for all I know, but I’ll wait until I’ve seen a few episodes to decide whether I love it, hate it or something inbetween:)

Mesterius

31 Dec 10 at 10:09 am

7. I’m so tired of seeing people have orgasms over this crap and yell at anyone who has a negative opinion of it. People are just so desperate for new cartoons on TV that they’ll watch any shit Cartoon Network defecates out these days.

Mike Russo

31 Dec 10 at 10:59 am

8. Judging by that short clip, I actually think that that Daffy is very nicely done, while Bugs looks terrible.

Moola

31 Dec 10 at 1:55 pm

9. The “Looney Tunes” Show really looks like a CBS-sitcom except all the boring white people are now animals.

Ricardo Cantoral

31 Dec 10 at 3:06 pm

10. Yech!

Bob

31 Dec 10 at 4:01 pm

11. What gets me is that Jessica Blutarsky designed the look for these characters. Some look ok, but Bugs looks pretty bad.

Justin Smith

1 Jan 11 at 1:24 pm

12. I loved Jessica’s recent short. I don’t know what possesed her to do what she did to these beloved characters. Huge heads, gigantic feet, super sharp angles, I don’t get it.

Ricardo Cantoral

1 Jan 11 at 3:42 pm

13. “I’m so tired of seeing people have orgasms over this crap and yell at anyone who has a negative opinion of it. People are just so desperate for new cartoons on TV that they’ll watch any shit Cartoon Network defecates out these days.”

…There has to be some reasonable middle ground here. Being a fanboy and getting angry at anyone who criticizes the look of this cartoon is silly, but so is this whole peer pressure thing to bash the show before it even airs, lest be afraid of being called someone with no taste. The derogatory, antagonistic, vulgar tones aren’t helping.

(For the record, I wish they had done designs similar to something like Tom & Jerry Tales. But I’m still going to give it a chance, for goodness sake)

Ian Lueck

1 Jan 11 at 10:13 pm

14. Personally, I don’t think they’ve made any good cartoons since the 1640s.

stavner